Modern Dining Furniture: How To Make It Look Brand New
A dining table made of solid wood is the most recommended and preferred choice of material. Solid wood tables are naturally strong and durable as they are made from tightly packed fibres, say online furniture manufacturers Wakefit. While tables made of cheaper materials can be purchased, it does not last long. Whatever the choice of material for your dining table, it needs to be cared for properly to maintain its appearance and stand strong. Here are some tips that can help it look brand new:
Cleaning the Dining Table
One of the important maintenance steps needed is to clean the dining table regularly. Not only to keep it looking brand new but also because it is where your family eats regularly. When choosing cleaning products, ensure that they do not contain any abrasives or harmful chemicals as that can lead to the top layer getting damaged irreversibly. Choose cleaning agents that kill germs and are safe.
Cleaning with Vinegar
A wooden table with wax, oil, lacquer, or vinegar finish can be cleaned using vinegar as they are safe and the best cleaning product that is harmless and free of chemicals. To clean your dining furniture using vinegar:
- Add a few tablespoons of white vinegar to a bowl and mix it with warm water. Adding water dilutes the collusion as vinegar is acidic and can harm the table surface. The acidity of the vinegar is advantageous as it acts as a disinfectant. Test a small area and only proceed when there is no damage.
- Use a soft cloth or a sponge that is non-abrasive as it can damage the table’s finish. A micro-fibre cloth is also a good choice. You can use a soft brush to clean the fine dust off the dining table before applying vinegar.
- Do not add too much vinegar to the cloth and only dampen it. After wiping the surface, rinse the cloth with clean water and wipe again. This ensures any residue of vinegar and dirt is completely removed.
- Use another soft and dry cloth and dry the tables as much as possible. If too much moisture is left on the table, it can break down the finish of your modern dining furniture.
If you don’t have vinegar handy, you can use diluted dishwashing soap and follow the same steps above. But ensure it is chemical-free and has anti-bacterial properties, especially if you have kids who tend to eat food that is fallen on the table.
Caring for your Wooden Dining Table
Since the dining table is a frequently used piece of furniture, you may notice wear and tear, but there are a few things, which can protect it from structural as well as cosmetic damage. These not only help you to increase the lifespan but also aid in keeping it in top condition.
- Do not place your dining table near a heat source or in direct sunlight, as it can lead to cracking and splitting of wood along the grains. Placing it in direct sunlight causes discolouration, and the damage is irreversible.
- Moisture is not a friend of your wooden furniture, so if any liquid or food is spilt on it, clean it immediately. If you don’t, it spoils the finish and makes its way into the interiors of the wood. That leads to swelling and other structural damages.
- To protect the finish of your tabletop, do not place anything that can gauge or scratch the tabletop. Use coasters to put your cutlery and food on the table. Also, do not place hot pans or serving dishes on the dining table to prevent marks and damage.
- Use table cover for a special occasion as there can be spillages and cause damages that cannot be repaired.
- The dining set online comes in many finishes. But the wax or oil-finish dining tables need ongoing maintenance and should be treated regularly at least in a 3 to 6 months timeframe. Opt for natural wax and not silicon-based one as it can leave a residue that is difficult to remove.
Caring for your Dining Chairs
- If you have upholstered dining chairs, use a fabric protectant spray as that helps in avoiding stains. It gives you extra time to clean up the stains, thus preventing permanent damage.
- Accidental spills are common, so it is essential for you to deep clean at least twice a year. Make sure that the dining chairs are cleaned using chemicals that are safe for use on the material as well as safe for you and your family.
- Fix a wobbly chair as there is nothing worse than sitting on an uneven chair. While cleaning is a major part of work, maintenance should not be neglected. Check the legs of the dining set so that there are no defects and repair them before the damage worsens.
Purchase your dining furniture online or go shopping for it from store to store; one thing that can help in the longevity of these is proper care and maintenance. Follow the above-mentioned care tips to keep your dining table looking new even after it has served you for a long.