They say that dog is man’s best friend, and it is not difficult to see why this is the case. Dogs provide love and companionship. They listen without judging. They are always by your side when you need them. However, there are many more pet benefits that a lot of people do not even consider. With that being said, in this post, we are going to take a look at some of the benefits of having a dog in your house in further detail.
- A dog can help to keep your fit and active – There is only one place to begin, and this is with the fact that dogs help us to keep fit and active. A lot of people today struggle to find the time to exercise. However, once you have a dog, you are going to have no choice but to get outside and go for walks on a regular basis. This not only benefits your dog but it can help you too.
- A dog can add purpose and meaning – It can be challenging to structure meaning to our days, especially as we get older. However, with a dog, you have another life that you are responsible for.
- A dog can lower stress – It seems that we live in a world that is very much filled with stress today. However, spending a mere few minutes with your pet can help to reduce blood pressure and anxiety, as well as increasing levels of dopamine and serotonin. The latter are two neurochemicals that play big roles in terms of wellbeing and calm.
- A dog can improve your heart health – A lot of people do not realise that dogs cannot only fill your heart with love but they can make your heart stronger. There have been a number of studies that have shown that canine companionship is linked to lower triglyceride levels, reduced cholesterol and lowered blood pressure, all of which contribute to better cardiovascular health overall and a lower risk of suffering from a heart attack.
- A dog can enhance your social life – Aside from the benefits that have already been discussed, owning a dog is a great way to improve your social life. This is because dog owners tend to be a bit more outgoing and extroverted. When you go for walks, people will speak to you, and you never know when a new friendship could blossom.
As you can see, there are many benefits that are associated with having a dog in your home. If you are going to bring a dog into your house, you need to make sure that you are prepared. This includes dog-proofing your home, both for the purpose of protecting your pet and your property too. You should also make sure you source natural and nutritious food. Head to Barking Heads for some further information on this. Aside from this, you need to make sure you have a grooming schedule and an exercise schedule to ensure your dog gets the attention it needs.